Sunday 4 December 2016

If You Make One Thing This Week...The Best Eggs Ever!


There are some days that you wake-up listless and simply don't want to do any thing. Do you know the feeling? Well, today was that day for me. As much as I wanted to crawl into a cupboard and hide, I knew that I had a family to feed! So, rather halfheartedly, I opened the fridge and took out some eggs. I then grabbed the last two pita that I had, and somehow I recalled seeing a picture of some fried tortilla chips. 'Yep, that's what I'll do' I thought. Slowly I started searching for other bits and pieces in the fridge and this recipe came together. As breakfast started to take shape my mood started to lighten, and I started to think that today is not such a bad day after all! After tasting the first morsel, I decided that today was a good day! A really good day. Not only did this meal fill me up, but it lifted my spirits totally! This was one of THE best egg meals that I have had in a while! Judging by the look on my family's faces, they thoroughly enjoyed it too! I was smitten with this, and I knew that I had so share this with you all, so I hurried to my laptop to type the recipe out, lest I forget!  



You will need:
2 pita breads, torn up into bite sized pieces
5 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup tomato Passata
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons Harissa paste
1/2 cup hummus
3 slices pastrami
A cup of  baby exotic  tomatoes, sliced
8-10 button mushrooms, sliced
1 avocado, sliced 
1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
4 eggs
1/2 cup Egyptian white cheese, or feta, crumbled 
A handful of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped 
A few chopped chives
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and fry the pita, in batches, till crisp. Drain on paper towels. Fry the pastrami in the same oil until crisp. Drain on paper towels, then tear into smaller pieces.Prepare the tomato sauce, by combining  a tablespoon of the olive oil, passata, garlic, harissa paste, and some salt in a small saucepan. Simmer over low heat for five minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Rinse and slice all the vegetables. Bring a pan of water to a gentle simmer. Poach the eggs, one at a time for four  minutes,. Remove from water and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Meanwhile, place the pita crisps in a clean pan or casserole. Drizzle the tomato sauce over, then dollop on the hummus. Layer on the veggies, chickpeas, pastrami, and eggs.season to taste. Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over.  Top with the cheese and some parsley and chives. Serve with a spritz of lemon juice... Bon Appetit
Serves four.

No comments:

Post a Comment